This Page

has been moved to new address

What Makes an Unforgettable Music Festival

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: What Makes an Unforgettable Music Festival

This Page

has been moved to new address

What Makes an Unforgettable Music Festival

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: What Makes an Unforgettable Music Festival

Sunday, March 27, 2011

What Makes an Unforgettable Music Festival

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

It was July 2009. My first (but hopefully not last) massive music festival. We had two tents for 6 people, and had shopped enough to feed and drink 50 others. I arrived later than the rest, I came straight from having my interview in Switzerland for my current job. I stood at the entry of the festival in a silk dress and heels, hoping that one of my friends could make his way out and hand me over a more suitable outfit. After about 30 minutes, my friend arrived without any kind of attire. Oh, well. Who needs clothes anyway. 

We left my business stuff in the car and I walked into the crowds wearing his T-Shirt - hey, it was long enough to be a dress! 

The next four days were wild. I had never lived in such bad conditions, and I'm seriously not sure if I'd do it again. But it surely brought some moments that I will never forget


Stay up until dawn
On the first night, I stayed up until the sun rose. Doing what? Well, dancing to techno music in an alternative tent, faking interviews to anyone around and trading beer for a portable BBQ.


Survive a fire and a hurricane (all on the same day)
Ok, you got me. It wasn't really a hurricane. But on the second day of the festival, the wind started to pick up and this caused something like the end of the world. One of the stages fell apart, all concerts were cancelled for the rest of the evening, the camping place was a big mess with people having lost their tents, metal structures having fallen apart and toilets turned over. To make things even worse, a fire started near the camping and was quickly approaching us. But hey, we survived the night! We slept in the cars and our tents stayed in its place because of the 50 beers we had stored inside. Clever, I know

Drink hot beer
It was a great idea to store the beers and the food in our tent. But we should have thought about bringing along a cooler. Benicassim is located on the spanish mediterranean coast side, where temperatures in July usually range 35ºC - 42ºC, already starting early in the morning. A tent amplifies this heat even more - which is why I lived in a bikini to run to the cold showers every morning at 7:00am and go back to lie on the towel, and also is why our beers tasted like hot tea with bubbles. Cheers!

Fall asleep in a rock concert
I like The Killers. I had already seen them live in Germany a couple of years back. But when it was time for their show, on the last evening, I fell asleep while standing in the crowds. I'm not sure how long I slept. I just know that Jenny was a friend of mine woke me up and brought me back to life!

Join hundreds of people dancing a waltz
After surviving The Killers and Rinôcérôse (without needing another nap), while the technicians were removing the equipment from the Green Stage, a waltz started to play and hundreds of people began to dance to its tunes (me included, of course). It was definitely my favorite part of the whole festival. 


Have you ever been to a festival? What made it unforgettable?

Want to see more pictures of Festival Internacional de Benicassim? Check out their Flickr Group!

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At March 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Meri said...

This is such a fun post! I've never been to a festival that was more than one day (or attended more than one day of it) you really make it come alive here though. I love your posts, Katherina- they make me want to plan my next trip, every single time.
Cheers!
Meri

 
At March 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard that Benassim is one of the best festivals around - certainly sounds that way. I am off to Coachella this year which I am looking forward to!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Gourmet Chick Coachella is also huge, right? I didn't know it was already in 20 days or so! I hope you have lots of fun!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Meri Thanks Meri! This festival was excessive, it really hit all at once. But hey, you learn some valuable lessons too, like: bring a cooler, don't sleep in a tent, and pack only half of what you had packed initially. I hope you can make it once to a 3 or 4 day festival, despite all this - it was a lot of fun with friends :)

 
At March 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM , Blogger Travel With Lulu said...

Sounds so fun. Bluegrass Festival in Telluride, Colorado for me - will never forget it ;)

 
At March 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Happy Homemaker UK Just checked the website, I didn't knew it before, but it sounds lots of fun!

 
At April 2, 2011 at 4:42 AM , Blogger LindyLouMac said...

Calling by from Happy Homemaker UK as participating in Post of the Month and really enjoying meeting everyone else and reading their favourite posts. This sounds like it was great fun :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home