This Page

has been moved to new address

Photo Essay: Extraordinary Colors of Edinburgh

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Photo Essay: Extraordinary Colors of Edinburgh

This Page

has been moved to new address

Photo Essay: Extraordinary Colors of Edinburgh

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Photo Essay: Extraordinary Colors of Edinburgh

Monday, March 14, 2011

Photo Essay: Extraordinary Colors of Edinburgh

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

Evening Light in Edinburgh
Whoever said that it always rains in Scotland was probably right. But for an adventurous traveler, this shouldn't be an obstacle, right? Despite Edinburgh's bad weather last weekend, I got myself on my feet to make my way through this mysterious city. 

I must admit that, when I glanced outside the hostel's window and saw the snow, the simple thought of spending the saturday jumping from cafe in cafe felt really appealing

Soon after, the snow turned into rain, which made things even worse. How could it rain the only day I had in Edinburgh? (Ok, I know; this seemed less obvious when it only was in my head). After debating if I should simply order another warm coffee and keep on watching people suffer outside in the cold, I decided that I wasn't going to let weather come in my way.  

And I'm glad I did so. During my walk through the city's streets and alleys, I realized that rain suits to Edinburgh - It emphasizes the city's charm and character, and deepens its multiple colors. 

Little Alley starting on the Royal Mile
Edinburgh's Multiple Cafes and Bars
Wet street path reflecting the shops lights
I usually prefer classic buildings to eco-modern structures - the kind of structures you learn about in University - and Edinburgh's stone paths and buildings with colorful bars, restaurants and shops on the ground floor are like food for my eyes. Despite the rain, I couldn't stop smiling. 

For today, some facts that will hopefully open your mind to this beautiful and mysterious city.
  1. In October 2004, Edinburgh became the first UNESCO City of Literature. Its world-famous authors include JM Barrie (Peter Pan), Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) and Kenneth Grahame (Wind in the Willows).
  2. Greyfriars Bobby is the bust of a dog (as well as the name of the bar in front of it), who spent 14 years guarding his master's grave in Greyfrienrs Kirkyard back in the 19th century. This is probably one of the most photographed monuments in the city!
  3. Edinburgh's Old and New Town were announced as Wolrd Heritages 15 years ago. 
  4. The Royal Mile deceived its name because it's a mile long street with two royal buildings on each end - on one side, Edinburgh Castle, on the other, Holyroodhouse Palace 
  5. Edinburgh's Castle stands on the plug of an extinct volcano. After, the force of a glacial erosion created a crag and tail formation - being The Castle Rock the crag and the Royal Mile, the tail
What about you: Have you been to Edinburgh? What do you think about tourism when it rains?
Want to see more pictures of Edinburgh? Visit my Flickr Gallery!

Oh! And by the way, lovely Lauren from The Blog You're About to Read just hosted a guest post of mine about My homeland, Tenerife!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At March 15, 2011 at 1:51 AM , Blogger OKinUK said...

I liked visiting Edinburgh... we took the bus and boat tour out to the Forth of Firth, but now, I'd like to go back and walk the Royal Mile.

 
At March 15, 2011 at 4:15 AM , Blogger Opposite lipstick said...

nice blog!


http://oppositelipstick.blogspot.com/

 
At March 15, 2011 at 4:26 AM , Blogger TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Wow, these photos are absolutely amazing! Great work. And thanks for making me long for a trip to Edinburgh :)

 
At March 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous Tonya said...

Very true! Edinburgh is one of my very favorite cities, even with the rain! Did you do a tour of Mary King's Close??
Great pictures as well!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Michelle H said...

I just found your blog and am SO excited! Beautiful pictures. We're going to Scotland next spring and you've got me even more excited! As for rain when traveling, I love it. Smaller crowds and you do get a real sense of the place you're in when it's only the locals out running about.

 
At March 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

Wow - your pictures are gorgeous! Edinborough looks so charming. Seems like you had a great time!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Meri said...

You said exactly what I was thinking- even though its rainy, how could you not want to be there? I love the name "holyroodhouse palace" too. I'm saying it with a scottish brogue... channeling gerard butler...

 
At March 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM , Anonymous Debbie Beardsley said...

These pictures are amazing! They made Edinburgh look magical. I want to go, now!!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Eurotrip Tips said...

Oh I love this post. People don't understand when I tell them that the UK feels and looks better with rain! There's just something about the mix of gray buildings, green trees and gray skies that create an unmistakable charm.

Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Tonya, @Michelle, @Meri and @Eurotrip Tips I'm glad I'm not this weird girl that likes to visit the UK when it rains, and thinks that rain makes it more beautiful. I said that out loud at work today and the reply was general laughter and being told to take some vacation! People just don't get the point...

 
At March 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Blogger hayley said...

This post has perfect timing...I'm finalizing my trip to Edinburgh this week. Going in April, I'll also be visiting St. Andrews. Any hostel or restaurant recommendations?

 
At March 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have never been, but I totally am with you as far as rain perhaps suiting it. Every time I think of Edinburgh, I imagine it rainy and foggy and honestly want it to be that way when I get there soon. Glad you made the most of it!

 
At March 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Christine Morente said...

Love your photos of Edinburgh! Scotland is very high on my light of must-go-to places. I also love rain, so yes, I think Scotland would be perfect for me! Have a great weekend!

Christine of Lovingly Simple
lovinglysimple.blogspot.com

 
At March 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Take All Chances - Missy said...

I live about 2 hours south of Edinburgh! I love visiting! Just like a lot of places in the UK, places look nice in rain too- luckily! I went last year and it was actually sunny; it was glorious! Where else are you visiting in UK?

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home