This Page

has been moved to new address

Not That Kind of Traveler

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Not That Kind of Traveler

This Page

has been moved to new address

Not That Kind of Traveler

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Not That Kind of Traveler

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Not That Kind of Traveler

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

A Gourmet Weekend
 with friends in Huelva, Spain
During my trips, I came across many ways of traveling. Hostels are mostly visited by backpackers, as it is a great way of getting to know more people in the same situation. Flashpackers may also be found in some hostels, but will probably prefer the peacefulness and individuality of a Bed & Breakfast. There are tourists for which traveling equals vacation, which again equals to lying under a palm tree at the beach, with an unlimited source of caipirinhas, taking a cruise across the Caribbean or any other activity that doesn't involve taking many decisions. And then , of course, there is the luxurious traveler who wants and will combine comfort and adventure, no matter the price. Examples for this may be some luxury safaris or spending two weeks sailing. 

Obviously, these are only a few types of travelers - There are many more. Each of them are equally considered traveling. 

I've been each of the above at some point. But after I came back from Edinburgh, I realized that my traveling has evolved in the last two years, and now is difficult to classify in any of the above. A couple of months back, I thought I was a Flashpacker. I traveled on a budget and didn't mind spending part of it on tasting local food, but I do not like to travel with my laptop. It distracts me. Maybe I'd do so if I traveled for months, but since the longest I'm away is 3 weeks, I'd rather spend those 3 weeks doing anything else but staring at Blogger and Facebook

This has got me wondering: Is it even possible to put travelers into categories? 

A Cultural Weekend
Inside a Parador, in La Granja de San Ildefonso, Spain
I don't think so. If you're like me, you don't follow a pattern. You don't always travel to all inclusive resorts or look for the ultimate party hostel. Some times you spend more, other times you spend less. One holiday may be a Spring Break kind of vacation, other times you may prefer to enjoy a peaceful meal in cafe around the corner. One day, you may feel adventurous and want to try something local, another day, you'll search for a familiar taste.

What makes traveling so unique is that it is practically made for everyone. It's just a matter of finding what suits your own preferences and budget at any time. 


Backpacking Mexico
Coolest Hippy Hostel in Zipolite, Mexico
Do you believe in travel categories? If so, in which one would you include yourself?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At March 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Lifebeginsat30ty said...

I am an immersion traveler :) I'd rather just move there, he. But seriously, no hostels for me *shudders* But a decent B&B with no plans and plenty of guide books and time to wander? Heaven.

 
At March 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't really know how to categorize myself as a traveler either and I think you raise a good point. Travelers, at one time or another, fall into all categories. I no longer stay at hostels because I much prefer the comfort and space of my own room but I still like to meet other travelers, drink a few beers and have a good time, whether at a local bar or hitting cultural sights.

I like the notion of "immersion" traveler too! And I've been that as well! I lived in Istanbul for seven months and now I'm currently living in Hong Kong.

The best part of travel is that it allows us to explore ourselves and that's wonderful! Thanks for a great post!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 2:46 AM , Blogger Brenna said...

I don't really think putting travelers in "categories" is fair. I am still traveling like a student, but I wouldn't call myself a backpacker? Who knows.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Screw the categories, just travel! ;-)

 
At March 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Debbie Beardsley said...

HA HA, I agree with Andi, screw the categories! For me, there are times when luxury is nice and then times when being more budget minded is the way to go. I do, however, know people that wouldn't consider traveling in a non-luxury way and vice-versa. In the end, its a personal thing.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Connie and @Lifebeginsat30ty I think I like the idea of "immersion" traveling... although I think I'm more like an expat than a traveler in Switzerland anymore!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Debbie Beardsley I've also come across people who have their mind fixed on one type of traveling. I think I couldn't do it, as I would feel I would be closing doors for other kind of adventures. But it's definitely a personal thing and everything is valid in this game.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Brenna I think I wasn't a backpacker when I was a student, neither... it's hard to define.

 
At March 18, 2011 at 4:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think our luggage often puts us into categories. Obviously theres the backpacker, then a flashpacker often has a backpack with wheels or a small suitcase and luxury travellers tend to have HUGE suitcases!
It bugs me when people judge you by your luggage though. Sometimes we splurge and stay in a fancy hotel but get some funny looks when we turn up with our dirty old backpacks!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

I really loved this post.

I do think that people can be categorized - some people will only go to the fancy all-inclusive lay around and do nothing all day resorts. While others may exclusively go to campgrounds.

But I think most fit into multiple categories, myself included. It's just kind of going with the flow and wherever my heart takes me at that moment.

 
At March 18, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was there in those photo now! How stinking beautiful! Lovely blog you have here! I'm visiting from FTLOB. Hope you had a fantastic Friday!
~Angel

 
At March 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You make some great points about floating between categories. I am the exact same way, one night I want to avoid the crowd and be the only non-local in a tapas bar in Spain, but the next night am on a pub crawl with fellow backpackers. I think it's fun to dabble!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home