This Page

has been moved to new address

Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

This Page

has been moved to new address

Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

View of Matterhorn - In Zermatt, Switzerland

This winter was a tough one. 

Switzerland experienced a very heavy snow fall back in November and December, the  strongest I had ever seen. Luckily, Switzerland is prepared for these kind of snow attacks - at the time I left to work, streets and walking paths were already cleared! I was amazed to see parents pulling their kids' sledges on the way to the market, or even people taking out their skis to ski in the park. There were people skiing, sledging and snowboarding down Le Petite Chêne (check from minute 1:00 onwards), a very steep pedestrian street in Lausanne. This was, in fact, what encouraged me to take snowboarding lessons this year - I want to be one of those people next time there's the chance to slide down a path!

Then, of course, Switzerland's cold winter wasn't enough for me - I wanted something more extreme and headed over to New York for the snowmageddon this January, where temperatures reached -18ºC. That was the coldest I had ever felt so far and I'm not sure if I could ever stand lower temperatures than than those ones (I'm not quite sure if I want to try out). This turns Winter 2010/2011 into the most extreme winter I've survived so far. This wasn't easy coming from an island where temperatures are around 25ºC all year round. 

Although I've now been in Switzerland for one and a half years, I think I've only learned now how to appreciate and profit from its winter. And I'm going to miss it (did I really just write that?).

What's Spring going to bring to me?

Flower in Tenerife, Canary Islands
I'm obviously also excited about spring. Spring means flowers, bright skies, green fields, and people drinking and eating on terraces. A lot of Switzerland's attractions and hiking trails that will reopen during spring as well and my mission this spring is to get the most out of it. I want to really immerse in the country's culture and enjoy its natural landscapes so, unless weather is very bad, you can expect more posts on Switzerland coming in the next couple of months!

I'll obviously continue with my usual travels around Europe - next stops are Frankfurt and Düsseldorf this upcoming week, and Tenerife in about a month from now, so there will be no time for getting bored!

Do you have any plans for spring? 
What are you specially looking forward to this spring?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At March 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Hopefully LOTS more travels and adventures!Thanks for stopping my blog- question, we are both on blogger, what gadget do I use to get the cute 'you might also like' and posts at the bottom of your pst? Thanks!

 
At March 20, 2011 at 9:16 AM , Anonymous Tonya said...

In Munich the flowers are starting to pop out and this week should be 14 and sunny, spring is here and I couldn't be happier!! This was my first Christmas in Germany (coming from Florida!) and it was nice to have the snow for the holidays, but now I am ready for biking, swimming and biergartens! ;) Can't wait to see some pics from springtime in Switzerland, it's so beautiful there!

 
At March 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Jackie D said...

Spring is hiding itself very well over here in Chicago. Today is the grossest stormiest day EVER. I'm just excited for the day I can leave the house without a heavy jacket!

 
At March 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Hugs & Loves, Ariel said...

oh gosh im so happy that spring is finally here! that purple flower is so beautiful!
found you on FTLOB!

Hugs & Loves, Ariel

 
At March 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM , Anonymous Debbie Beardsley said...

Thank goodness spring is here! Although that usually means we will have rain until May but its better than droughts.

 
At March 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Jet-Setting Divas said...

Hello found you on FTLOB! I love spring---the blooming of flowers definitely boost my mood (i hope it does for everyone else!) We plan on doing an international theme week over at our blog and I love for you to do something on Switzerland! (I've never met anyone who's ever been there!) If you are interested email us at
jetsettingdivas@yahool.com .
Happy Blogging!
-tiffanie

 
At March 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM , Blogger TriGirl said...

That first photo is absolutely breath-taking! Isn't it nice to live somewhere that is used to snow? Here in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. our city shuts down when the first snowflake appears (though I really don't complain too loudly about getting a day off!)

 
At March 31, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous New Zealand rental car said...

It is definitely a "goodbye winter, hello spring" season once again! You may want to set aside the thought of snow, snowboarding and skiing for a while... Think about driving down to the country side in a car hire and welcome the new season with fun.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home