This Page

has been moved to new address

Friday's Five - Another 5 Latin-American Expressions I've Mastered at Work

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Friday's Five - Another 5 Latin-American Expressions I've Mastered at Work

This Page

has been moved to new address

Friday's Five - Another 5 Latin-American Expressions I've Mastered at Work

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Friday's Five - Another 5 Latin-American Expressions I've Mastered at Work

Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday's Five - Another 5 Latin-American Expressions I've Mastered at Work

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!



I usually don't talk a lot about my job in my blog. Really. However, in last few months I've been given an increasing amount of responsibility and, now that the deadline is near - I'm even dreaming of work (and that's when you know you've got a problem). Fortunately, I don't usually have nightmares related to work (except for one on which I drove to a meeting and feel down a bridge right into the lake and got trapped in sea weed *shudder*). 

Anyway, give that I couldn't fit all of my newly adopted vocabulary in on my last Friday's Five, consider today's post a completion of my literate expansion at work
  1. Hinchar. Literally: to inflate. It is commonly used when something or someone is getting on your nerves, like the continuous actualizations you are asked to install every morning when you turn on your computer. Well, that's actually not that bad - as I take that time to prepare my morning coffee. The same is used when you're concentrated on work, trying to meet a short deadline and someone is loudly chatting just next to you. 
  2. Dar Bola / Dar Pelota. To take someone seriously or pay attention to someone. As in "No le des bola" (meaning something like "Don't give a shit") - Someone telling me not to give shit about someone else's comments or arguments. 
  3. Pajero. Besides for being a Mitsubishi car model, pajero also means wanker (which explains why Mitsubishi changed its name for spanish-speaking countries). However, nowadays it's used as a light insult to someone lazy. As per this definition and working in a fast paced industry, you can get a picture of how many pajeros I have to deal with every day.
  4. Forro. If someone is a forro, he's a betrayer. Someone who won't help you if you ask for it, a person you can't trust. I'm happy to say that I haven't encountered many of these yet, but colleagues did. If I ever cross paths with one, I'll know what he is!
  5. Quilombo. A big mess. Used when there is a large number of people copied in an e-mail chain that seems to have no beginning and no end. Also, when someone sends a revised document without using Word's mark up option but doing it all manually, or when there have been so many changes that it's impossible to follow a line of action anymore. Yes, this is the word one I use more frequently (together with pelotudo). 

Have you heard of any of these before? 

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At March 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Loved all the pictures on yours! I'm a new follower. Have a wonderful weekend!

 
At March 26, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Jacqui' said...

hahaha, thanks for the new words, they are funny! Ppl are going to look at me like HUH? love this and your blog =]

 
At March 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Travel With Lulu said...

Very funny :) these are all new to me - I don't remember hearing them in Costa Rica while living there - but good to know in case someone uses one of them with me :)

 
At March 27, 2011 at 4:48 AM , Blogger VaishVijay said...

Thanks Katherina for dropping by my blog.

Its great to travel be it for work or pleasure!

Your pictures and stories are fantastic:)

 
At March 27, 2011 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Haha I'm so happy you continued this series!!! Quiero mas! :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home