This Page

has been moved to new address

(A Belayed) Friday's Five - 5 Carnival Destinations in Europe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: (A Belayed) Friday's Five - 5 Carnival Destinations in Europe

This Page

has been moved to new address

(A Belayed) Friday's Five - 5 Carnival Destinations in Europe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: (A Belayed) Friday's Five - 5 Carnival Destinations in Europe

Saturday, March 5, 2011

(A Belayed) Friday's Five - 5 Carnival Destinations in Europe

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!


There's not doubt about Brazil holding the number one Carnival in the World. Carnival in Rio started yesterday and has a full program until Tuesday 8th - which includes street parades, masque balls, street bands and a lot of samba. Good. But taking out Rio de Janeiro - What else has the World to offer? There are a lot less known, but still awesome Carnival Celebrations you should consider as an alternative, and these are my favorite ones:
  1. Cologne Carnival. This is the largest and most famous Carnival in Germany (and probably in continental Europe). Although historically the celebration starts on November 11th at 11:11am, the actual Carnival began last Thursday, "The Women's Day", and lasts all the way over to Wednesday 9th, "Ash Wednesday". What's Women's Day you may ask? It's a day that has been celebrated for ages, that thanks all women for the good influence and hard work they have done (and do). During that they, women storm city halls, cut men's ties and are allowed to kiss any man that passes their way!
  2. Carnival of Venice. The Carnival of Venice was first recorded in 1268, but was stopped for many years when the city fell under Austrian control (in 1798). It was again revived in the late 20th Century and now is one of the top Carnival destinations Worldwide. The Venetian tradition is most distinctive for the use of artful masks, which were used in the celebration to remove social differences. Anyone participating, could mingle easily with people of different classes or sex.
  3. Carnival of Cadiz. Andalusians are probably (together with the Canarios) the spanish folk with highest number of festivities over the year. Cadiz is nationally recognized for it's Carnival, which is relatively different from the rest of Europe. In Cadiz, the costumes worn are often related to recent news (such as the bird flu in 2006, during which many dressed up as chickens!). What's fun about it is it's sharp criticism and original costumes. Another highlight are the groups of chirigotas - satiric popular groups who sing about politics, new times and household matters often using clever world play.  
  4. Carnival of Croatia. The most famous Croatian carnival takes place in the costal city of Rijeka, in the Kvarner region. What makes their Carnival unique is the incorporation of local traditions and customs. Just before the end of Carnival, each town in the region burns up a man-like doll called "mesopust" who is blamed for all the conflicts of the previous year. But the most iconic symbol of Croatia's Carnival are the bell ringers, who dress up in lamb-wool costumes and wear big animal masks and walk from one village to another ringing the bells they wear around their waists.
  5. Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. To close, what would be a post about Carnival celebrations without including the major one - the one of my home town? Carnival in Tenerife lasts for several weeks, during which you have the murgas competition (a similar group to the chirigotas), queen elections and culminate in a week of street parties and parades. One of the best days for celebration is "Ash Wednesday", which is called the "Entierro de la Sardina" (The sardine's funeral). This night, locals dress up as widows. Each coastal city builds a huge sardine, which is carried along the streets to the water. It's then placed on a fisher boat and burned, while letting it dragged into the ocean. Everyone "fake cries"! During these days, Tenerife receives massive visits from all over Europe - only the Carnival of Santa Cruz (capital of Tenerife) attracts more than a million visitors! The Carnival aspires to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site this year!
I'm missing Tenerife's Carnival this year, and it's not easy when watching my friends add their pictures on Facebook. I hope next year I will make it again, even if it's only for a weekend!

Me dressed up as Catwoman in Carnival 2006
Which is your favorite Carnival destination? Have you been to any of these? What would you dress up as? 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At March 5, 2011 at 3:37 AM , Blogger TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Yes! Great blog. I will be at Fastnacht, the southern Germany's rendition of Carnival, on Rosenmontag. Looking forward to the craziness!! :)
Stopped over from FTLOB, have a great one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

 
At March 5, 2011 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Shah Wharton said...

Oh I'm loving this - thanks for all these great insights - I love a good carnival! Brilliant. I'm and new follower from wordsinsync.blogspot.com

Shah. X

 
At March 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@TexaGermaNadian The germans DO know how to party, right? Oh I'm so jealous.. enjoy!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@shah wharton Hi Shah! thanks for your kind comment and welcome to the blog! :)

 
At March 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Erin Wallace said...

I LURVE your blog!! I have an extreme case of wanderlust but not the money to do anything about it so I love to read about travel. I've been to London but didn't get to eat at Rules (though I found the food in London really darn good in general - better than Paris, actually). So anyhow, great blog!!!

BTW, am your newest follower from the Weekend Wander. I'd love it if you would follow me back at Dropped Stitches.

 
At March 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Erin Wallace Thanks for your lovely comment, Erin! Will come along your blog right away.

 
At March 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Tales of a Tai Tai said...

I'm a big fan of Notting Hill Carnival in London! It's held on the August long weekend each year and brings a million visitors to the place I called home for 6 years! Such fun. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog and for following! xx

 
At March 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

Hi! Love your blog and everything travel-related, as I am a travel-addict :). Found you from FTLOB, and I'm your latest follower. Would love it if you'd stop by my blog too and if you like it, follow back :).

Nice to meet you,
Sonia

 
At March 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Meri said...

I'd love to go to any of these- but I think the one I'd go to first would be the Venetian! Fun!

 
At March 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Travel With Lulu said...

I've never been to any of these, but they all look so great! Lovely post. I'd love it if you joined my Expat Linky Party on Mar 19th.

 
At March 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM , Blogger Jackie D said...

Just found your blog and LOVE IT. We traveling ladies need to stick together! :)

 
At March 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Brooke vs. the World said...

Oh, Carnival -- such a crazy time. I remember my friend getting dumped in a fountain camera et al during Carnival. :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home