This Page

has been moved to new address

Friday's Five - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Friday's Five - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

This Page

has been moved to new address

Friday's Five - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Friday's Five - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday's Five - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!



For a change, I've thought on giving my Friday's Five a new fresh theme. Instead of focusing only on 5 posts I specially enjoyed reading this week - to be frank, it's hardly impossible to choose 5 out of so many - I'm extend it to... well, any 5 that I may come up with (always related to travel). 

Friday's Five - #5 - 5 Spanish Drinks Made of Wine

Not that I want to discourage you to drink spanish wine when in Spain - you really should! But besides for its Rioja and Ribera del Duero, the country has a long history of mixed drinks - after all, who hasn't heard of Sangria, right? But there is much more than a fruit punch made of wine, and below are my 5 favorites:
  1. Sangria. The drink every tourist will sip while sitting on any terraza in country's major tourist spots. I've tasted many different versions (even in different countries), and there's none that can be compared to the one served at home. Sangria is made of inexpensive red wine - mental note: the cheaper the wine, the stronger the hangover -orange and lemon juice and a variety of fruit slices such as peach, lemon, orange and apple. But the best receipts are never that simple - I recommend including a cup of cointreau, cognac or rum, as well as some cinnamon! 
  2. RebujitoThe birth of rebujito took place in the Feria de Abril, in Andalucia. For a change, this drink is prepared with manzanilla, a variety of fino sherry (a fortified wine made of white grapes). The manzanilla is then mixed with 7Up or Sprite, added ice and some mint leaves. Personally, my favorite!
  3. Kalimotxo. Kalimotxo (also: Calimocho) has always been the teen and student drink in Spain - it's, after all, less fancy than the ones above. It usually involves red wine from the Tetra Brik cartons of Don Simon, and a cola-based soft drink - split 50/50. It couldn't get any easier (and cheaper!). A common way of serving is in a one liter drinking glass made of plastic, ironically known as minis. This drinks stops being popular when you reach an age at which you actually enjoy the wine - mixing it with coke is a sin (now)!
  4. Pitilingorri. Also known as Caliguay or Tologorri, it is a variation of the Kalimotxo that contains red wine or rosé, mixed with lemon juice (although you can also find it with rosé wine or orange juice instead).
  5. Tinto de Verano. Although many believe that Tinto de Verano is similar to the sangria, the taste is quite different. A good tinto de verano (which again, will probably not be the ones you get on a hot tourist spot) will be prepared with red wine, soda (La Casera), lemon, ice and red vermouth. Spaniards often prefer it to sangria, because its less sweet and more refreshing.
Is it too obvious that I'm dreaming of summer, with all these refreshing drinks? I really can't wait to be lying at a beach with the sun on my skin - I haven't really had it since I was in Lebanon, almost 2 years ago!

Have you tried any of these? 
Do you also have drink combinations with wine where you live?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At February 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Meri said...

Oh boy did I imbibe a lot of calimocho when I lived in Madrid. I miss how good their cheap boxed wine is! I'm not sure I could still stomach calimocho though. I'd probably just drink the wine as is!

I enjoyed this trip down memory lane though :)
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

 
At February 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM , Anonymous Ayngelina said...

I´ve only had Sangria but I bookmarked this to try the others.

 
At February 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Meri I kind of miss it, I think!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Ayngelina yes, sangria is the classic one. I really recommend tinto de verano and rebujito, though!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM , Anonymous Eurotrip Tips said...

I miss the tinto de verano like crazy! Much better than sangria (and less known, so consequently cooler). I remember the old lady at the store selling me a 2L bottle at 2 in the morning, watching the door to make sure no one noticed.

Good times with tinto!

 
At March 3, 2011 at 5:56 AM , Blogger TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I've only tried the sangria. Here in Germany they put coke in their red wine! Sounds not good, haha. Stopped over from Thirsty Thursday, have a good one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

 
At March 3, 2011 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Ross said...

Thanks for all the great drinks! I've had sangria but now I need to expand my horizons!!

 
At March 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Eurotrip Tips haha yes, the midnight policy ;) I remember when there WAS no midnight policy in Spain... but that's so many years ago!

 
At March 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@TexaGermaNadian and @Ross Thanks for the kind comments!

 
At March 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

New blog hop follower. I'm looking forward to reading about your upcoming trip to Scotland!
Sweet T Makes Three
Facebook
Twitter ( I follow back!)

 
At March 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Hugs & Loves, Ariel said...

Love sangria!
nice blog i found you via FTLOB

Hugs & Loves, Ariel

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home