This Page

has been moved to new address

Photo Essay: Canals, Bicycles and Coffee Shops

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Photo Essay: Canals, Bicycles and Coffee Shops

This Page

has been moved to new address

Photo Essay: Canals, Bicycles and Coffee Shops

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Photo Essay: Canals, Bicycles and Coffee Shops

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Photo Essay: Canals, Bicycles and Coffee Shops

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

This time three years ago, I had handed in my thesis and was on the road with two close friends of mine. On that thursday night, the idea came up to hit the road and so, with no set plan, we drove our way up to Amsterdam


We drove for at least 6 hours, and only arrived in the dutch capital at about 1 or 2 am. Excited about our arrival, we parked the car and stepped out to take a first quick glimpse on the city of sins. Me parked next to what - in my naïve mind - was a department store. But to my surprise, the store's mannequins were... alive. Not that I didn't knew about Amsterdam's Red Light District. I did. But we weren't exactly in the red light district yet and, besides, I had never seen anything similar to this before. 

We walked to what was the actual Red Light District but soon realized we were out-placed as the only people still wandering on the streets were men looking to window-shop. Note: it didn't really feel unsafe for 3 girls, men were far too focussed on what was going on behind the windows

The next morning, we started our journey through the city of canals, bicycles and coffee shops.

One of Amsterdam's many canals
Uncountable number of bicycles
Having dutch beer during lunch time
Inside a Coffee Shop
Ever since, I've been back to Amsterdam twice, but always for work. Still, I find this city, and particularly the parts that aren't extremely touristic, charming and worth the visit. I know many people think of it as a touristic cliché - that wherever you go, you'll see groups of young tourists high or drunk. I'm not going to lie - you can find pretty freaky people out there. However, Amsterdam has much more to offer than a couple of coffee shops (which may I say, is still part of the experience). My personal favorite area up to now has been the restaurant/bar/boutique area in and around Spuistraat

Anyway, I'll leave you, as usual, with 5 (quite surprising!) facts about Amsterdam.
  1. Amsterdam's Airport (Schiphol) is 4 meters below sea level. This means that, if global warming causes the sea level to rise, Amsterdam would be one of the first cities to drown
  2. There are estimated to be 1 million bikes in Amsterdam vs. approximately 750.000 people. The number of bicycles actually is estimated to have doubled the number of cars
  3. Measured per square meter, Amsterdam is the city with the highest number of Museums worldwide - the city's administration counts 51 museums!
  4. There are over 200 coffee shops spread across the city. Since 2007, customer can only smoke pure cannabis joints in coffee shops but can not mix them with tobacco 
  5. The famous magic mushrooms - dry or fresh - are both illegal since December 2008 (after a couple of bad tourist incidents)
Have you ever been to Amsterdam? If so, which are your thoughts - is it too touristy? 
__________________________________

By the way, one of my pictures was featured over at Christine's C'est Christine on her Share the Love Sundays feature, check it out!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At February 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Meri said...

I love how bikeable Amsterdam is! Yes, it's touristy, but it also has such an incredible history and beauty- you sure can avoid the ugly tourist sites if you want, and see much much more- love your photos girl

 
At February 14, 2011 at 3:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have "been there" three times, sadly just for a total of 4 nights combined. The city is beautiful and I really think staying out of the inner rings of the city is the way to go. But, you can't really beat the beauty of the canals and buildings there. Great pics!

 
At February 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

I was just there this past Summer and had a lovely time. Not my fave place in the world, but would definitely go back if I had the chance! Gotta love the coffee shops. ;-)

 
At February 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Ashley Curtin said...

My husband and I have been planning a trip, we are so eager to go and check out Amsterdam! So, I have no opinion as of yet...

Happy travels!

 
At February 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Scott You're right! Actually, the first hostel we stayed at was a bit outside. It was a sweet little corner with its local shops and cafes. Besides, our hostel there was almost half the price for what we paid the next night for being in the center (and quality for this expensive central hostel was terrible for the increase in price). Moving away 15min from the center does have its advantages!

 
At February 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Andi of My Beautiful Adventures what to say? Coffee Shops are sightseeing! :)

 
At February 15, 2011 at 6:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Amsterdam with 10 friends for my 21st birthday! We did a mixture of good things and bad things, coffee shops, red light district, museums, Ann Frank house etc. My favorite thing of all was not, infact the coffee shops which served delicious "magic hot chocolate" and "magic muffins" but the Heineken experience. Normally breweries are kind of boring but this one was so awesome, did you do it when u were there?

 
At February 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Another little known fact, Katherina, is that those famous dykes are made of Dutch cheese. Oh, and the canals are filled with Amstel pilsner.

No, really, they are.

 
At February 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Wombat Are they?! Uhmm... maybe I should go back soon then!

 
At February 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@janetnewenham Everyone tells great stuff about the Heineken museum!! We didn't make it that weekend... but I still really want to go though!

 
At February 16, 2011 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Kirsten Alana said...

Sad news about Amsterdam being so far below sea level. Oy, I better get there soon to visit. Love these photographs :)

 
At February 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM , Blogger Claire Marie said...

Ooh lovely post! I've never been to Amsterdam but I'd really like to go - I know a lot of people who have been there and, aside from a group of men who went there for a stag party (oh dear), the rest said that it was a very interesting and beautiful city and didn't live up to the stereotype, which is a good thing I guess!

By the way, I just had to say a huge thank you for the lovely comment you wrote on my post around a week ago about my break up. You certainly do talk a lot of sense! :) I'm feeling a lot better now and certainly agree with what you say about changes being good, and having a renewed sense of freedom. So - thank you! Your comment was much appreciated.

Claire x
http://tea-breaks.blogspot.com

 
At February 18, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Blogger b. lee said...

what an awesome heap of pics!

 
At March 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

Haven't been to Amsterdam, but I really want to go to Venice because of the canals. If I ever make it there I'm definitely hitting up a gondola ride.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home