This Page

has been moved to new address

NY's Misunderstood Financial District

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: NY's Misunderstood Financial District

This Page

has been moved to new address

NY's Misunderstood Financial District

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: NY's Misunderstood Financial District

Friday, January 28, 2011

NY's Misunderstood Financial District

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

The View from the Outside (Staten Island ferry)

I'm currently reading a book called Liar's Poker, from Michael Lewis, in which the author describes, from an insider view, the disastrous fall of Salomon Brothers. However, the most interesting of this book is Michael's misadventures in the firm's training program for traders. 

"The trading floor is a jungle", says one of the program's mentors. And there's no place better to represent a jungle of hungry men (and, oh well, a couple of reckless women) than the streets of New York's financial district. One skyscraper higher than the next one, banning sunlight from shining on the dark asphalt. When standing on Wall Street, freezing and overwhelmed with the buildings, it's easy to lose one's way. Streets are no longer named by cardinals and numbers, but are rather called Beaver, Stone or Wall Street. These streets are twisted and less structured, similar to the streets of London. Not surprising, given that this area was the first one in the city being settled by europeans, back in the XVII century. 

We kept on walking through the cold dark streets and bumped into the heart of the district - a couple of old european houses. Nobody tells you that there are still some buildings left from the settlers. The contrast is just simply dramatic. Tall stone and glass buildings surround some little charming taverns and pubs, with some of them dating back to the XIX century! A must see tavern is the Fraunces Tavern, one of the oldest standing buildings in the city with plenty of history. 

But from all, my favorite corner has been Stone Street. This street was New Amsterdam's first paved street. After loosing part of its old buildings to make way to modern offices, the remaining buildings have now been occupied by bars and restaurants, filling NY's jungle with a warm vintage vibe. 

Stone Street in Winter

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At January 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Meri said...

So neat! I totally missed this neighborhood when I was in NY because I thought that it would be all commercial and boring! I was wrong!

 
At January 29, 2011 at 2:28 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Meri I seriously thought it was going to be all skyscrapers and stressed-out bankers...!!

 
At January 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Awww that is EXACTLY where I lived in the City!!! I just got all teary looking at it. In fact I think you were standing in front of my apartment when you took that pic.

 
At January 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Andi of My Beautiful Adventures No waaay! Andi, that's a great place to live... and I'm really happy that I found it :)

 
At January 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM , Blogger Sophie said...

Hey Katherina! :)
Thank you for the greawt comment on my blog :) The pilot jacket it from Alaia :)) andd yess the colorful chairs are from Morocco :))
And i loveee yourr blog!! cant wait for further posts!

xx
Sophie from lacesocks.blogspot.com <3

 
At February 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Informative on NYC and good photos.

Russ:)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home