This Page

has been moved to new address

East Village - My first Airbnb Experience

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: East Village - My first Airbnb Experience

This Page

has been moved to new address

East Village - My first Airbnb Experience

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: East Village - My first Airbnb Experience

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

East Village - My first Airbnb Experience

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed or join me on Facebook to be regularly updated. Thanks for visiting!

An Ideal Apartment in Upper West Side, Manhattan 


Back in December, I was concerned about the accommodation alternatives available in Manhattan. Although our budget constraint is higher than when we were students and would be enough to pay for a hotel or bed & breakfast in some cities, it certainly wasn't enough to pay for it in Manhattan. Wrong, let me rectify - it certainly wasn't enough to pay for it in nice and safe Manhattan. And, in my opinion, this should be top priority, specially when visiting big cities that you don't know very well.  

This is when Airbnb gained caught our eyes. AirBnB is a community market place where you can wist and book anything from a shared room to a private island, in over 160 countries worldwide. 


Airbnb Main Page

How does it work?
  1. Search. As a guest looking for a place to stay, you only need to write in the city or country of destination, dates and the total number of guests looking and hit the search button. Once you are led to the list of results, you can narrow down your matches by specifying what kind of accommodation you're looking for (a whole house, a shared apartment or even a shared room),  preferred neighborhoods, a minimum (or rather maximum!) price per night, or particular amenities you can't live without (in my case, WIFI !!).
  2. Choose. Once you've chosen a short list of the accommodations that match what you were looking for, you can contact the host directly through the website confirming if the listing is available for your dates and asking some further questions about the area, the apartment etc. 
  3. Pay. When you have your final pick, you need to provide your credit card information to the website and wait for the host to "accept" you. Payment will only be transferred 24 hours after your check-in date. 
How do you know, as a guest, if the apartment i for real?
Well... you don't. However, there are a couple of tips that may be useful to spot possible fraudulent advertisings. Check out my previous post on Budget Traveling!


My Experience


The beautiful apartment we stayed at in East Village, Manhattan


I had never used this site before, neither did I knew anyone who had employed it. But I was willing to give it a try (specially because Manhattan's boutique hotels were far out of our price range!). 

Our budget was of 100$ per night (50$ per person). Given that even hostels in Union Square start with around 42$ per person in a shared room, you can imagine that this wasn't much. However, when searching in Airbnb under this one constrain, there were still many housing offers! Now came the difficult part - where to stay? A friend of mine recommended Lower East Side - East Village, which shrank the number of available locations within our budget significantly. Among the final results was this artsy beautiful apartment, which matched exactly our expectations. 

We exchanged a couple of e-mails with the host and soon afterwards had booked our 4-nights in their spare bedroom. 

Of course in matters of payment, it always goes smooth, right? My main concerns from then onwards: what kind of people were we going to live with? what if we do not come along well with each other? 

I don't easily trust people, at least not up to the point of staying over at some stranger's house. But Airbnb made me feel (a bit more) secured. It's not a simple Ebay for apartments, but a strong community that connects people from all over the World. Reading other people's feedback on my hosts and the apartment itself felt comforting. 

On the day of arrival, the remaining fears simply swept away when we met our hosts. Both of them gave us tips on places to visit and where to eat in the East Village, as well as how to come around in Manhattan (and how to get best to JFK!). 

What I liked most (besides from our hosts and their great tips!), was the fact that you spend your time in a real home, which, unlike many hotels and hostels, feels warm and cozy - and believe me, when it's -15ºC outside, you would die to feel warm and cozy. 

So, what do you think? Would you give it a try?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Franzi said...

wow, this place looks great! thanx for the link, looks like a thing i consider trying some day. however, i think i won't do it in australia bc australia is "THE" couchsurfing country worldwide. ever done couchsurfing? i did it in sweden and it was a great experience (i was a bit scared because we were 2 girls staying at a guy's place, but the guy turned out to be supercool (working in social affairs) and i had a much nicer stay than i would have had at a hostel. so why not try airbnb?

respacedgirl.blogspot.com

 
At January 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM , Blogger Meri said...

I think I would try it- especially if I had had bad luck trying to find an affordable place so far, it might be worth it and might have a great time!

 
At January 26, 2011 at 2:36 AM , Anonymous Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

I've heard about airBnB but never read about a first-hand experience. I'm glad you liked it! I have a friend that lives in East Village and I had so so much fun visiting him this summer. Every little bar and restaurant has so much character and distinction from the millions of other places in Manhattan.

 
At January 26, 2011 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

I haven't used this site yet, but have been thinking about it. So happy to hear a great review! The apartment looks gorgeous.

 
At January 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Franzi Couchsurfing is still on my list! I might be giving it a try next time I'm in London! I'm feeling adventurous ;)

 
At January 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] East Village is my fav part of Manhattan! I thought I'd like Soho more... but East Village is much more charming and individualistic!

 
At January 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Andi of My Beautiful Adventures You should definitely give it a try sometime. Offering apartments in over 160 countries worldwide, I'm sure there's something on your next stop... !!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home