This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Board "Just on Time" in London Airports

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: How to Board "Just on Time" in London Airports

This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Board "Just on Time" in London Airports

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: How to Board "Just on Time" in London Airports

Monday, December 13, 2010

How to Board "Just on Time" in London Airports

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!


I just got back from a great weekend in one of my favorite cities, London. 

When I travel, I like to optimize my time outside the airport and get "just in time"(unless it has some english book shops, in which case, I can get lost in it for the time remaining). Now, this sounds all great and shiny as long as I stick to the hypothetical case in which I control all the interfering factors - but I don't. It doesn't matter how you calculate and predict things will go, it will probably go wrong.

You might notice you've left your passport on the table when you are already on a non-stop train to the Airport or get stuck in a huge unexpected sunday traffic jam - aren't all english people enjoying the countryside or at least chilling in a park on a sunny sunday? You might get caught in a street protest. Or even have a tube breakdown (not that rare, right?). Maybe there's a ground crew strike - and less people are at the passport controls and scanning handbags. Or maybe today you just look like a terrorist - and have a suspicious nationality, and you are caught in millions of questions. I really wonder if anyone traveling in London ever arrives to the airport with some extra time. 

It seems to me, as if compromising to take flight is much more difficult than I thought. There are so many things that can stand between your starting point and the airplane! 

So what can you actually do to reduce the risk of missing your flight?
  • Online Check-In. This tool has saved my trip on many occasions. Don't wait until you are at the airport to do the Check-In, you might get caught in serious queues. Instead, print out your Boarding Pass and put it next to your Passport. Some airlines even provide you with a Mobile Boarding Pass! I first used it last night when coming back from London, it works pretty well - as long as you have battery and an internet connection. 
  • Plan your Trip to the Airport. Before leaving, don't forget to check for tube works, train schedules,   street congestions or road works. For London, I like to use TFL's Traffic News Interactive Maps, for tubes, buses, trains and roads. And, unless you travel from London City Airport, recheck which is your Terminal of Departure!
  • Remember the key objects: passport (+ visa, if needed), boarding pass and/or mobile phone and money. Everything else is can be replaced on your trip. 
  • Keep your hand luggage simple. I'm not telling you to travel only with your passport and some extra pounds and Check-In the rest, but it is important to take with you a handbag that allows you to move quick if needed, like the 4-wheel trolleys that can move in any direction. Shoulder strap bags may look nice, but don't try to run for a last minute call with them. 
  • What to wear. As much as a girl wants to look good, when you're struggling with time, you should at least leave away necklaces, bracelets and rings. Simplify it all - use leggins (they're more comfortable, anyways), a long shirt, easy-on boots (UGGs are probably among the best choices) and a jacket. The more you wear, the more you have to take off for the security check and the more you are likely to forget if you're on a hurry. Been there, done that. 
Even considering these few speeding up tips, anything else can come in between you and your plane. I guess that's why the general rule talks about being in the airport about 1 hour (and an extra 30min for London) before departure for european flights and 2 hours (+ 30min bonus) in case of an international flight. 

Have you ever caught a flight just in the last minute? What did you do to speed up?


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At December 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice for getting through check in at any time! I always wear yoga pants - no belts, no pockets - and runners, in case of mad dash across to a terminal in the middle of nowhere. I also travel very CSI - with two small zip lock baggies. One with the usual liquids, etc. And I now put all technology I carry (or that my daughter has with her) phone, ipod, cables, etc. in another so I can pull them all out if necessary. Finally, I make a copy of my itinerary and put it in my luggage, in case it gets side tracked (as it tends to do).

 
At December 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Barbara Nigg Wow, thanks! Great advice! I never thought about putting my itinerary into my luggage... that's such a good idea. Will start doing it from now on, to be safe ;)

 
At December 16, 2010 at 5:32 AM , Blogger New Life said...

Great ADvice! I'm having a problem with emailing you but I was wondering if you had any advice for New Years Eve in Paris?

www.confessionsofachronicwanderluster.blogspot.com

 
At December 16, 2010 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Krystle Oh god, got to check my email and see whats wrong... I tried finding your email on your blog but no success!

I haven't been for New Year's in Paris (lucky you!), but have heard from friends that it's really beautiful to watch from Montmartre or CHamps Elysee. Near Champs Elysee is a cool club called Showcase (Its under a bridge!) which probably has a good party going on for New Year's...but beware, drinks are quite expensive and staff is "very french" ;)

Oh, or WAGG, which is also quite cool and cheaper!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home