This Page

has been moved to new address

To Bise or Not To Bise?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: To Bise or Not To Bise?

This Page

has been moved to new address

To Bise or Not To Bise?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: To Bise or Not To Bise?

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

To Bise or Not To Bise?

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!


You might ask yourself what these bises are and why I'm so concerned about them, anyways. In France, as well as in the Suisse Romande to fair la bise is a synonym for cheek-kissing, a mainly European custom that gets very complicated when someone french is involved. 


To fair la bise generally involves touching cheeks while kissing the air with an audible smack of the lips. That's the easy part. Now the real question is: 

Who to kiss and who not to kiss? And then again, how many of these bises shall you give? 

There are no written rules - which will lead to many awkward situations. While in Paris people give 2 bises, in some suburbs it's 4 and in other areas in France 3 (the same as in Switzerland). This can already lead to a lot of confusion - if a swiss and a parisian meet: how much kissing would there be involved? I've often landed in this kind of situation - the last time last week at a meeting with a parisian banker I had been talking on the phone with for months, but had never met before personally. Since I felt as if I knew him forever, I leaned up to faire la bise, and noticed how he was confused about the situation, but followed my spontaneity to avoid by total embarrassment. 

Commonly, women can kiss each other in almost any circumstance (it get's tricky if you greet elderly people for the first time or if it's a business meeting - oops!). Men, otherwise, only will kiss other men if they are related or are two best friends who haven't seen each other in centuries. An exception to this is New Year's Eve - where everybody seems to get loose (probably a consequence of the all the vin rouge). 

As a general guideline, I would say - wait until you are approached instead of jumping into it, like I did - and still do... got to change that one. 

Have you ever been in one of these awkward situations? How do you know when and whom to kiss?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At November 24, 2010 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

I love giving kisses! :)

 
At November 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I ALWAYS get this wrong, Katherina.

My (global) solution is for two people about to greet each other to hold up fingers equal to the number of kisses they're expecting.

Lowest number wins. No-one is left in the dark.

 
At November 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Wombat hahaha that's a good method, Wombat! it can avoid some misunderstanding...!!

 
At November 25, 2010 at 7:15 AM , Blogger Casey said...

I am a kisser, can't help it!

 
At November 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

@Katherina Give it a try for a couple of weeks when you meet new people. I suspect that men will find you even MORE charming when you explain what you're doing...

 
At December 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in a nightclub and I would have to greet some of the customers with "kisses" on the cheek. It weirded me out so much because I have personal space issues but it was kind of expected. It was just kind of strange to see a bunch of Americans doing it. But for me, it was always just one kiss on the cheek and that was that. So it wasn't really awkward in that regard. I just felt awkward haha.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home