This Page

has been moved to new address

Loops and Spins (A Day on Ice!)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Loops and Spins (A Day on Ice!)

This Page

has been moved to new address

Loops and Spins (A Day on Ice!)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Loops and Spins (A Day on Ice!)

Monday, November 22, 2010

Loops and Spins (A Day on Ice!)

Hello! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!



Yesterday I went ice skating for the first time. I had been wishing for it for so long - and now that winter is slowly approaching, I thought it would be a great chance to give it a try and start to feel the winter spirit. I know, officially, it's still a month to go, but in Switzerland it's expected to snow this wednesday! 

Anyway, I never tried it before, given my naturally untalented feet - which up to now, have made me turn off most of the activities and sports in which my feet have a main role, such as  skiing/snowboarding and dancing. I'm not overstating my clumsiness - today, in fact, I stepped on my own foot when stepping into a bakery! However, after my successful night dancing salsa in Havana - I decided to give my two left feet another chance.

The first time I stepped onto the ice, I was still telling myself to get off while I still could, and avoid being involved in a serious injury. But starting off with a teacher (or in our case - 2 very talented figure skaters (Robert Dierking, USA and Anna Sophia Bernauer, Luxembourg) was probably the best choice. They started by teaching us how to fall best and how to get up, as well as how to stop (which I still haven't mastered yet), and then slowly kept on with the basics. I was clearly happy enough to be gliding without holding myself onto anything - and even managed to do "lemons" !! I only fell once: I was gaining some speed and then saw the wall approaching quite quickly and attempted to turn to avoid the typical movie-alike collapse and, well, turned a bit too quick (I was glad that I was surrounded by other beginners at that time!). 


What I've learned so far is:
          -   Wear gloves - even better: wear ski gloves in case you fall on the ice!
          -   There's a higher possibility of falling if you look down than if you look straight 
          -   Learn how to stop before learning how to speed
          -   Don't fall on your butt (but if someone else does, have your camera ready!)

It was great fun - and I might have found a new hobby! This one being useful in Switzerland - as I think I'm going to be having ice rinks until sometime in march (or april?). And besides, ever since I first read about the Lac de Joux in the Jura Moutains (Switzerland), I've been counting the days for it to freeze so I can try it out. Obviously, I still have to practice a bit more in a closed rink - I don't want to fall on the ice, break it and well, turn into an ice cube!


Even though it's a quite large lake (in fact, the largest of the Jura region), it's depth is maximum 32m, which makes it easier to freeze. When temperatures have dropped enough and snow has been falling on less than 1000m hight, the Lac de Joux is transformed into a big ice skating rink. I haven't been yet - mental note -, but it looks like the perfect place to escape from the loud and crowded ski resorts, right? I've read that they even have little wooden stands next to the lake, selling vin chaud (hot wine) and take away raclettes

Picture Source


Last year I would have been praying for no snow - but this year, a tiny winy part of me is wishing for it as soon as possible, to get the most out of this lake!



Have you gone ice skating?  Ever tried skating on a natural lake?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At November 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, I like the idea of being taught how to fall FIRST. Very wise teachers, those two.

The thought of an entire frozen lake surrounded by nice warming hot wine is wonderful -> but how does the lake stay frozen?

 
At November 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

I love ice skating and I love drinking hot chocolate afterwards to warm up. :)

 
At November 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM , Anonymous RamblingTart said...

Oh good for you!!! :-) Skating can be so scary when you didn't grow up doing it. I was born and raised in Canada so I've been skating for as long as I can remember. :-) We made ice rinks everywhere - backyards, fields, garden plots, ponds, lakes. :-) We'd even skate down the road when the snow was hard packed. :-) I LOVE the looks of that lake. How fabulous!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Melusine said...

Hi Katherina,
I have just discovered your blog and am thrilled! I have just left Madrid due to the recession hitting too and my heart is still there...I love the way you write,the Lac de Joux is stunning there's plenty of space for you to fall, or not! Enjoy!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Global Butterfly hmm... the hot chocolate... can't wait for it :)

 
At November 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@RamblingTartWow, you're so lucky! It must be so easy to learn when you're a kid and don't fear falling on your butt! hehe!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Katherina said...

@Melusine Thanks for the compliment.. I'm blushing! Where did you move to from Madrid?

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home