This Page

has been moved to new address

10 Things You Must Know about Cuba (Part II)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: 10 Things You Must Know about Cuba (Part II)

This Page

has been moved to new address

10 Things You Must Know about Cuba (Part II)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: 10 Things You Must Know about Cuba (Part II)

Monday, November 8, 2010

10 Things You Must Know about Cuba (Part II)




6. They've just got the moves. No matter what they might tell you, ALL cubans can dance cuban salsa (also called "casino")- they were born with this gift. If you get the chance to go to a local cuban party, you'll probably get to see the "Rueda de Casino", which is a particular type of round dancing developed in Havana in the late 50s. Pairs of dancers create a circle, in which each dance moved is called out by one person and many of these moves involve the swapping of partners. I had the occassion to watch it last friday at a birthday party (in which, by the way, I was the only non-cuban non-salsa dancer), and believe me, it's simply impressive.

7. The Soviet Union is still beating. In 1960, Cuba signed a trade agreement (sugar/oil) with the Soviet Union - which provided the island with many russian cars (you'll recognize them by their rectangular shape), as well as TVs and photo cameras. When driving through Havana, you can also recognize some Stalinist architecture (although the majority of the buildings are art deco and colonial).

8. Cigars are not only for men. At least that's what I tell myself since I bought a pack of Trinidad Colonial for a try - I've always loved the femme fatale look. I remember cigars being a fashion for women in the 90s, well, it's time to get that fashion back ladies! Anyway, I read cuban cigars can't be sold in the US. There are rumors of Kennedy requesting his own press secretary to get thousands of his favorite cigars to stock them up in the White House right before he signed the embargo.

9. There's something called "Cuban Time". Most of the time I had an appointment - this one would start at some other time than established. I've been called for a meeting 1 hour before a 2-weeks-in-advance set time, but this was an exception - mostly things move on much slower than expected. When I was told "dinner at 8" at could be sure that I would not be anywhere before 9. This is a particular time system you have to get used to

10. Like wine to France, it's rum to Cuba. Cuba distills different types of rum. First, you can find the white rums, which are primarily used as mixers - that is, particularly for Mojitos and Daiquiris (the drink many people associate with Hemingway). Golden (or Amber) rums will have spent several years aging in oak casts and have a stronger taste, which makes them less suitable for cocktails but ideal for Cuba Libres or on the rocks. And last, the dark rums. These have a characteristic sweet caramel-dominated taste due to its long aging and are mostly recommended to drink neat or on the rocks.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Kirsten Alana said...

#6 is tops on my list of why I want to go to Cuba SOOO bad. #8 and #10 are important to me as well :-)

 
At December 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM , Anonymous delia said...

ugh i smoked waaay too many cigars in cuba, but it was worth it! and knowing someone who worked for a factory meant i got them pretty cheap, and with real papers.

did you try the 15 anos? even the siete was like candy. but on the other end of the spectrum, the home-made grainy white rum was great, too

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home