This Page

has been moved to new address

Tartare de Boeuf: Love it or Hate it

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Tartare de Boeuf: Love it or Hate it

This Page

has been moved to new address

Tartare de Boeuf: Love it or Hate it

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
100MILES HIGHWAY: Tartare de Boeuf: Love it or Hate it

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tartare de Boeuf: Love it or Hate it


Ok, I might be getting some typical french habits - I've noticed that almost any conversation, at some point, makes a turn and goes straight towards food and wine, no matter with whom I'm actually talking with. Whenever I travel, I check out regional dishes and some recommended restaurants (the whole touristic spots come afterwards). And whenever I stay at home over the weekend, I'll spend the saturday morning at the market and the evening checking out some new restaurant / cafe / I don't even mind as long as they serve food.

Anyway, I've recently fallen back in love with the tartare de boeuf. Even though its easy to prepare, tartare de boeuf (or steak tartare) is considered in many countries a gourmet dish. Its made from finely chopped or minced raw beef, seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil, capers, parsley and delicately cut onions. Some restaurant may add a raw egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce and/or Tabasco, depending on the country or region - I've never seen it in Romandie (french-speaking Switzerland) so far.

The ingredients are simple, so the quality (specially of the beef) plays the main role. In my one year in Romandie, I've gone on from loving tartare, to hating it and back to loving it even more. It all depends on where you eat it. In principle, never order it if the price is suspiciously low, which in Lausanne would be, lets say, below 25 CHF (18 EUR). Believe me, it's raw meat - it will really need to be good quality and fresh, not only because of the taste, but also because of health reasons.

After a year, I can narrow my list down to three spots with an excellent tartare in Lausanne.

1. Mövenpick Hotel - The Mövenpick Hotel is located just in front of the lake and, besides for the breath-taking ice-creams they are famous for, they also offer the best tartare I've tasted so far. The hotel has three restaurants, and they offer a tartare menu in both, the Brasserie and Le Jardin. You can pick out of around 6 different choices with varying spices and flavors - I do remember the mexican one (probably a bit spicy), the italian one (probably with balsamic vinegar and some cheese) and the one I had: the truffle tartare - practically unbeatable! Prices were over 40 CHF (30 EUR) the portion, though - quite a kick in your pocket. However, for an exception, the kick is absolutely worth it.

Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne
Avenue de Rhodanie, 4
Lausanne
Tfn: +41 21 612 7 612
Price per person: main dishes 30 CHF - 60 CHF

2. Vieux Lausanne - Vieux Lausanne is located next to the Cathedral and has the advantage of serving food until relatively late hours (at least for swiss standards!) - Their kitchen is open until midnight! Although the price is a bit above my limit, I must admit that anything I've ordered has always been delicious. The tartare is simple, but very tasteful - the beef is chopped so delicately, it almost melts in your mouth. Many plates can be ordered as half or full portions, which is great if you're only looking for a little (gourmet) snack. The tartare is served with slices of bread and thin (addictive) french fries - it's so yummy, you should go for the bigger of both plates as the small one would only leave you crying for more.

Vieux Lausanne Restaurant
Rue Pierre-Viret 6
Lausanne
Tfn: +41 21 323 53 90
Price per person: main dishes 35 CHF - 70 CHF

3. Bleu Lezard - Bleu Lezard offers a lunch menu which usually includes tartare de boeuf for 21 CHF (16 EUR) - and so much more affordable than the two above! It comes with country potatoes, salad and toasted bread - and besides from the regular ingredients, it also includes green olives (a great taste booster!). The restaurant / bar / club itself is located in the city center and during the week there is always some concert going on (tuesdays its jam session). Note that the tartare de boeuf for 21 CHF is only once a week (I think usually fridays) for lunch time - for dinner, prices jump back to more regular swiss prices (27.50 CHF).

Bleu Lezard
Rue Enning 10
Lausanne
Tfn: +41 21 321 38 30
Price per person: main dishes 25 CHF - 30 CHF

There's one other place which is known for its tartare and, well, for its beef in general - Le Petit Boeuf (very appropriate name). I've never managed to go as you generally have to reserve a table, but if I do - I'll let you know about the tartare!

So... are you feeling as carnivore as I am?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Ca88andra said...

As a teenager I worked for a short while as a waitress in a Swiss restaurant where they served steak tartare, but I never worked up enough courage to try it! Strangely enough I prefer my steaks very rare...

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home